Clean Air/Water Campaign Associate
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: With Environment America, you protect the places that all of us love and promote core environmental values, such as clean air to breathe, clean water to drink, and clean energy to power our lives. We’re a national network of 29 state environmental groups with members and supporters in every state. Together, we focus on timely, targeted action that wins tangible improvements in the quality of our environment and our lives.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Clean Air and Water team is looking for an associate to drive our “Get the Lead Out” campaign. The crisis that unfolded in Flint, Michigan in 2014-15 provided a tragic reminder of the dangers of lead exposure. The drinking water of an entire city had been contaminated with lead. More than 8,000 children under the age of 6 drank lead-contaminated water. A potent neurotoxin, lead affects how our children learn, grow and behave. Now we know this toxic threat extends well beyond Flint. The only way to ensure safe drinking water for our children is to “get the lead out” of our schools and preschools. This involves proactively removing lead-bearing parts from schools’ drinking water systems — from service lines to faucets and fixtures — and installing filters certified to remove lead at every tap used for drinking or cooking.
These steps cost money, but our children’s health is worth it. To convince state and local leaders to act, we’re raising awareness, especially among parents and parent-teacher associations; doctors, nurses and other healthcare givers; and elected officials themselves. We are seeking a Campaign Associate who will spearhead this campaign and work with our experienced team of advocates, researchers, and digital and communications experts.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $28,000-$30,000 in the first year. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Fill out our online application.
We’re also hiring Campaign Associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis. For the foreseeable future, all of our staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This position starts in August 2021.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY: Environment America is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://jobs.environmentamerica.org/core-values.html?utm_source=River-Network&utm_medium=web-ad&utm_campaign=AMEfall2020&utm_term=331&utm_content=Clean-Air-and-Water-Campaign-Associate for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer.