TITLE: Development Associate
REPORTS TO: Development Director
JOB STATUS: Full-time employee
LOCATION: Nevada City, CA
The South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL – pronounced circle) was founded in 1983 by grassroots activists determined to protect the South Yuba River from dams. Ultimately, SYRCL won permanent protections for 39 miles of the South Yuba River under California’s Wild and Scenic Rivers Act. Today, SYRCL is the central hub of community activism to protect, restore, and celebrate the Yuba River watershed. With nearly 40 years of achievements, 3,000 members and 1,000 active volunteers, SYRCL is doing great things for the Yuba watershed. We are working to restore wild salmon to their native waters. We are improving the health and capacity of Sierra meadows. We are inspiring activism across the globe with our environmental film festival. Together, we are extending our powerful coalition from the summit to the sea.
SYRCL seeks either a mid-level fundraising professional, with a passion for the environment, to sustain and grow our annual giving program. The Development Associate provides support and coordination for SYRCL’s fundraising, sponsorship, and membership programs, including stewardship of individual donors, and corporate and foundation partners. The position assists with planning and executing annual giving activities and fundraising events, membership solicitation and renewals, and sponsorship solicitation and fulfillment.
This position requires 40 hours per week, including occasional evenings and weekends. The successful candidate will demonstrate capacity to learn quickly, show initiative, and thrive in a team-oriented work environment.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a customer service-oriented person who has a passion for donor engagement and data management and enjoys working for a community-based non-profit organization dedicated to watershed protection.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, prioritize tasks, and follow through on areas of responsibility.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to manage fundraising projects and events.
- Exceptional attention to detail required.
- Proficiency CRM platforms or databases is required as well as knowledge of fundraising best practices
- Proficiency Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher; remote workplace programs.
- Experience with social media and email communication systems.
- Strong interest in nonprofit career path; three or more years of fundraising experience preferred.
- Highest commitment to protecting the confidentiality and security of donor information.
- Ability to work independently and in teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service and computer skills.
- Must maintain a positive, professional, and highly cooperative spirit in engaging with members, volunteers and staff at all times.
- Basic graphic design skills are a plus.
- Manage SYRCL’s donor database and online fundraising platform (Salsa Engage and Salsa CRM).
- Manage SYRCL’s renewal and membership acquisition efforts, in coordination with the Development and Communication teams.
- Create solicitations and thank you letters, invoices, membership cards, etc., for individuals and businesses.
- Create online fundraising pages, events, and solicitations using Salsa Engage
- Track fundraising goal and developing reports and queries to measure success of campaigns and solicitations
- Produce fundraising materials and reports
- Coordinate mail and social media projects
- Conduct fundraising calls to members, volunteers, sponsors and businesses
- Track sponsor and major donor benefits
- Maintain complete and well-organized electronic and paper files on all members.
- Assist researching funding opportunities (grants, foundations, corporate and philanthropic funders).
- Steward monthly giving program as well as annual members and donors.
- Coordinate special events
- Other duties as assigned.
- Able to work on a computer for up to 8 hours a day, including sitting at a desk for extended periods, reading a computer screen, and manually operating a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
This is a full-time non-exempt position. The hourly wage is between $23-25, negotiated based on experience. All SYRCL’s full-time employees are eligible for individual health insurance benefits (100%), paid time off (PTO), sick days, 401K plan options, and paid holidays.
This position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit a cover letter and resume to: https://syrcl.bamboohr.com/careers/77
Writing samples will be requested during the interview process.
SYRCL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.
We welcome and encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQAI+ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.