Director of Development
ABOUT THE GALLATIN RIVER TASK FORCE
The Gallatin River Task Force is a successful nonprofit organization headquartered in Big Sky, Montana working to ensure that the Gallatin River flows with clean, cold, abundant water. We believe in the power of collaboration and partner with our community to lead conservation and inspire stewardship of the Gallatin River Watershed. Science drives our programmatic work that includes watershed monitoring and assessment, restoration & conservation, water resource management, and education and outreach. Visit www.gallatinrivertaskforce.org for details on our work.
As an energetic and enthusiastic member of the Gallatin River Task Force leadership team, the Director of Development will create, execute, and evaluate fundraising strategies and tactics that ensure diverse, growing, and sustainable revenue sources to support the Task Force mission and priorities. Primary responsibilities include: 1) building and sustaining trust- based relationships with internal and external stakeholders, 2) demonstrating personal leadership and success in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors, 3) communicating effectively to engage, inform and inspire diverse constituencies and audiences, and 4) anticipating change and developing new and innovative approaches to help the Task Force thrive in the midst of organizational and community growth.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Philanthropy Leadership & Strategy (20%):
- Based on an assessment of organizational capability, donor capacity and market trends, develop, initiate, and support the ongoing execution of an inclusive, comprehensive, and effective philanthropy
- Establish new philanthropy systems and key performance metrics that demonstrate continued success in meeting targets, personally and as a team, to support annual operating expenses and identified
- Supervise and support members of the development team
- Organize and lead fundraising committee(s) Develop agendas, record minutes, and distribute to committee members.
- Oversee quality control of donor database ensuring effective stewardship, accurate record management, report generation, gifts processing, data entry, grant and gift reporting materials, and biographical record keeping of donors.
Fundraising & Donor Engagement (50%):
- Demonstrate personal leadership in philanthropy by successfully identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a growing portfolio of donors across all giving channels and levels, leading to increased revenues that advance Gallatin River Task Force’s mission.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the organization’s leaders, including the CEO, COO, and board members to build trust and maximize the impact of fundraising activities.
- Implement and evaluate special events and membership program and collaborate with organization’s leaders to develop strategies that improve fundraising outcomes of these revenue streams.
- Draft high-quality fundraising communications, including donor recognition letters, acknowledgements special fundraising appeals, email blasts, website material/content, meetings notes.
Community & Network Development (15%):
- Be purposeful in community engagement, seizing opportunities to invite supporters and partners into new or deeper relationships with the organization.
- Participate in community events and organizations on behalf of Gallatin River Task Force, seeking input and sharing information in proactive ways.
- Serve as a spokesperson and presenter on behalf of the Task Force, effectively conveying the mission, vision, programs, impacts and priorities of the organization.
Continuous Learning & Innovation (5%):
- Commit to personal and professional development, staying abreast of emerging trends and best-practices in philanthropy and not-for-profit leadership.
- Apply new approaches to giving, prospect development and donor engagement.
- Demonstrate curiosity, humility, and an ongoing willingness to learn, grow and teach others.
Additional Leadership Accountabilities (10%):
- Serve collaboratively and effectively as a member of the Gallatin River Task Force leadership team, advising and supporting other members of the staff and board.
- Demonstrate fiscal leadership and accountability through actively participating in budget development, ongoing fiscal management, and regular dashboard-based reporting.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Specific requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum 5 years of related experience.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a diverse community of people.
- Commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in fundraising management with the ability to set and achieve strategic objectives and manage a fundraising budget.
- CFRE designation preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in major gifts giving and solicitation.
- Knowledge of advanced philanthropy concepts.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Strong computer skills (NeonCRM or other donor software, Microsoft Office, and publication/creative software).
- Familiarity with concepts relevant to the organization (watershed issues).
- Energy and enthusiasm to work in a growing organization in a small mountain resort community.
- Ability to work on multiple projects, adjust quickly to shifting priorities, meet deadlines, exercise good judgment, and handle high-pressure situations.
- Outstanding organization skills and high attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to take initiative and anticipate potential project complications or needs before they arise.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to think critically and strategically.
- Proficiency in synthesizing materials from multiple sources into a coherent and accurate summary.
- Understanding of best practices in non-profit management.
- Ability to work some evening and weekend hours.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to Audrey Foster, HR & Payroll Consultant, TogetherHR: Audrey@togetHRconsulting.com