Drinking Water Program Associate
APPLICATION CLOSE DATE: December 31, 2022
POSITION TITLE: Drinking Water Program Associate
REPORTS TO: Drinking Water Program Director
TERM AND SALARY: $50,000 to $55,000/year for a full time / 1 FTE (40 hours/week), exempt position with comprehensive benefits including: medical, dental, and vision health insurance; 403b retirement savings plan; vacation and well-being leave; employee assistance program; life insurance; technology stipend; and paid holidays.
POSITION SUMMARY: River Network seeks an early career professional to support our work on access to clean, safe, affordable and resilient drinking water. Individuals with interest and experience in the following areas are encouraged to apply: drinking water/utility access and affordability, water infrastructure funding and management (drinking water, sewer and stormwater), water and climate change resilience, adaptation and nature-based solutions, public policy and/or public health, environmental justice and conservation issues. This role is fully remote and the ideal candidate has comfort and experience with managing projects with remote team members. This position will focus heavily on both interview and desktop research and writing; the ability to synthesize complex information for a broad audience is a must. The position will also be public-facing and require regular communication and collaboration with our external partners.
The primary objective of this position is to support the Drinking Water team with research, writing, training and communications activities related to our work on clean, safe and affordable drinking water and equitable water infrastructure implementation. The person hired for this position will serve as researcher, writer, analyst, synthesizer and connector, helping to advance our programmatic work in areas described in more detail below.
Our ideal candidate understands and has experience with nonprofit organizations and has experience working with under-represented groups, particularly racially and ethnically diverse communities. The Drinking Water Associate will work directly with the Drinking Water Program Director and interface regularly with other members of the River Programs team. This person must be flexible and able to take initiative in accomplishing tasks as well as seeking support from River Network staff. We seek a candidate who is excited about building the capacity of organizations in our network to advance equitable access to clean, safe and affordable water with an emphasis on sustainable and climate resilient solutions that address historical inequities nationwide.
ABOUT RIVER NETWORK: River Network envisions a future of clean and ample water for people and nature, where local caretakers are well-equipped, effective and courageous champions for our rivers. River Network’s mission is to empower and unite people and communities to protect and restore rivers and other waters that sustain all life. Visit www.rivernetwork.org to learn more about our current priorities. Our headquarters are in Boulder, Colorado and we have staff located in communities across the U.S. We are committed to embracing diversity, equity and inclusion in all areas to achieve our mission – explore our core values and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, our explanation for why equity, diversity and inclusion are the foundation of our mission, and our principles for equitable and inclusive work. Through our programs, we seek to connect with all communities and increase the impact of their efforts to secure clean and ample water. Through our internal practices and external leadership, we seek an inclusive workplace culture that attracts diverse staff, board, members, and supporters.
River Network’s headquarters are in Boulder, Colorado and we have staff located in communities across the U.S. While we are a dispersed staff team, we are highly collaborative, and value distributed leadership approaches that aim to disperse authority and responsibility to thee staff closest to the work. All staff are encouraged to engage in cross-cutting, internal staff committees and initiatives that provide opportunities to work with colleagues outside of their primary focus area. Our staff is deeply invested in creating and tending to a healthy workplace culture and engaging all staff to influence and shape that culture.
Find information about our financials here (annual reports, financial statement, 990)
- Support our work to build the capacity of our network in navigating and influencing equitable implementation of water infrastructure funding, particularly the State Revolving Loan Funds (SRFs), including conducting research and analysis, supporting the development of trainings, webinars and fact sheets, and network facilitation.
- In collaboration with partners in our network, lead the development of foundational drinking water education materials utilizing River Network resources (ex: Drinking Water Guide and Building Blocks of Trust), including writing and designing fact sheets and managing logistics for trainings and educational webinars.
- Collaborate with Drinking Water and Communications teams on opportunities to improve our virtual training capacity and impact, including desk research and supporting the build out and management of an online learning platform.
- Collaborate with Drinking Water staff and external partners to identify policy and programmatic opportunities for improved water affordability outcomes.
- Support the research, development, and maintenance of drinking water resource pages, databases and other tools for our network (ex: SRF resource page, Great Lakes Drinking Water Database).
- Attend relevant meetings with members of our network and partner coalitions to better understand current drinking water needs and opportunities for River Network-led support.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education in a related field; 2-3 years professional work experience preferred;
- Strategic thinker and quick learner with interest and experience in working with colleagues and teams from diverse backgrounds;
- Detail-oriented and organized, with experience managing multiple projects simultaneously, completing tasks on often fast timelines, and effective communication around shifting needs and/or priorities.
- Comfort and confidence in working both independently and as part of a team; defining and tracking project deadlines, soliciting and incorporating input from team members and partners while continuing to move projects forward, often multiple at one time.
- Experience working with community-based organizations (CBOs) and leaders and organizations representing communities of color;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written); good sense of humor and interest in building connection and community with coworkers and partners; and
- Commitment to River Network’s vision and mission, and to our core values of strength, mutual respect, integrity, balance, growth and inclusion.
TO APPLY: Please submit your application and upload resume below by December 31, 2022. References, work samples, and questions will be part of the selection process. No phone calls please. The successful applicant must also meet the requirements of River Network’s background screening process.
River Network is also in the process of hiring a Resilient Communities & Policy Associate, a position with similar qualifications. If you are interested in being considered for both positions, please indicate in the form below. There is no need to apply twice.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with each qualification in the job description, please go ahead and apply anyway! You might be just the right candidate for this role. Consistent with our values and our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion as stated above, River Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.