Executive Director of the Green Infrastructure Leadership Exchange
This is an incredible opportunity for someone to make their mark in the water sector while working at the cutting edge of water, equity, and climate change. The Green Infrastructure Leadership Exchange is looking for its next Executive Director to: (1) advance the organization’s growth, development and impact; (2) help design and scale new and innovative solutions for equitable urban water systems, and; (3) to acclimate and support the next generation of public water sector leaders.
If you are a driven, self-starting leader interested in fundraising for, maintaining, and growing an established national professional water network that is shaping a field, then this could be the perfect fit for you.
The Green Infrastructure Leadership Exchange (“the Exchange”) is a highly connected, member-driven peer learning network where local public sector practitioners share experiences, circulate ideas, and solve problems together. The goal is delivering more equitable and sustainable water infrastructure solutions.
This network focuses on three areas: (1) creating new tools, resources and innovations that support equitable implementation of green stormwater infrastructure; (2) building the leadership skills of current and future public water sector leaders, and; (3) making the case for green stormwater infrastructure, supportive policies and funding. A governance committee of members helps to guide strategic organizational decisions.
- Collaboratively implement and evolve the new organizational theory of change
- Refine and implement a strategic plan to carry out the theory of change
- Inspire the creative development and direction of the organization’s staff and members
- Develop and implement a fundraising strategy to support programming and to advance organizational goals
- Curate relationships with current and potential funders
- Write grants and oversee grant reporting processes
- Adapt funding streams as needed to address evolving field needs
- Actively recruit and grow the membership base
- Building on existing partnerships and in response to the new strategic plan:
- Curate and evolve relationships with key partners that allow for leveraging of shared resources
- Seek out-of-the-box partnerships that break silos and open new areas of influence for the field
- Convene and maintain alignment of the network’s governance committee so that organizational direction is consistent with and shaping the articulation of member needs
- Curate relationships with network members while developing a strong understanding and appreciation of their needs
- Lead the network toward adopting equity and authentic community engagement as tenets of the green infrastructure practice
- Represent the Exchange at events, forums, committees, and through partner projects to raise the profile of the network and the critical issues that we work on
- Manage a small team of staff and contractors
- Manage the organizational budget and the relationship with the network’s fiscal sponsor
- Collaboratively develop and implement a communications and marketing strategy for the organization
- Oversee and delegate maintenance of the technology platforms that support the organization, including its website, online member forums, Green Infrastructure Library, and Salesforce customer relationship database
- Proven ability to fundraise to successfully sustain and support growth of a large program or organization
- Making and owning decisions while leading from behind per network governance structure
- Building trust and collaborating to develop dependable “win-win” relationships to optimize solutions
- Adapting and learning in order to meet current and future challenges and opportunities
- Setting a vision and to embed a passion for sustainable water solutions throughout the organization
- Ability to shape the organizational culture to support equity, community, and collaboration and to cultivate these values in the hearts, minds, and habits of employees and network members
- Ability to foster possibility thinking by challenging assumptions and reframing problems to stimulate new ideas
- Ability to enable innovation and to create an environment that encourages experimentation and outside-the-box solutions
Ideal Mix of Knowledge and Experience:
- Deep knowledge of water sector, with a strong preference for specific experience with green stormwater infrastructure and working with public agencies
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion demonstrated through past job experience, personal activism, or any other pertinent experience
- Experience managing small organizations or large programs; experience managing budgets over $500,000 is desirable
- Success in fundraising including letters of interest, grant applications, and reporting to various funders
- Experience developing and implementing strategic plans
- Experience hiring and leading staff
- Experience working with multi-stakeholder programs
- Experience working collaboratively with diverse groups
Education: Bachelors and Masters degrees in related fields are preferred
Timeline: The position is open immediately and we would like to have it filled by July. However, we are able to work around candidates’ schedules to some extent.
The Green Infrastructure Leadership Exchange is a project of Global Philanthropy Partnership (GPP), a 501(c)3 fiscal sponsor based in Illinois. This position will be an at-will employee of GPP.
GPP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. GPP is committed to equal treatment of all employees without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability or other basis protected by law. The Exchange is committed to supporting a healthy and inclusive working environment. This includes building a diverse staff while advancing equity and inclusion goals throughout our network.