Operations & Program Manager
Waterkeepers Chesapeake (WKC) seeks a highly motivated, detail-oriented Operations & Program Manager to handle business operations as well as provide critical support to the WKC staff and board. This position reports directly to the Executive Director. The Operations & Program Manager oversees day-to-day business operations including operational management systems, bookkeeping and finance data reporting, human resources administration, and other administrative and organizational compliance duties. The position supports the Executive Director with tracking grant budgets and deliverables. The new team member assists other program staff with outreach and fundraising with constituent database management, event planning, and Waterkeeper member support.
Waterkeepers Chesapeake fights for clean water and a healthy environment by supporting a coalition of 17 Waterkeepers throughout the Chesapeake and coastal regions as they protect their communities, rivers, and streams from pollution. https://waterkeeperschesapeake.org
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process invoices, payments, deposits, monthly account reconciliations, and payroll
- Generate financial reports for Board of Directors and foundation proposals and grant reports
- Manage the organizational, grant and project budgets and cash flow reports
- Manage annual audit and tax filings
- Prepare contractor and intern contracts and ensure all required documentation is obtained
Legal and administrative tasks:
- Organize and maintain organizational and personnel documents, in-office files and electronic files
- Manage administrative aspects of Human Resources, including health insurance and onboarding new employees
- Manage organizational insurance, Workers Comp, Directors and Officers
- General offices responsibilities such as process mail, order office supplies, and maintain P.O. Box rental and lease
- Responsible for renewing annual state charitable registrations, and website domain registrations and other online accounts such as Action Network, Click & Pledge, and Salesforce/Watergrass
Program and fundraising assistance:
- Track grant proposals and report due dates
- Event support and registration management. Assist with outreach events
- Generate thank you letters for donors
- Responsible for overall constituent database management (Salesforces/Watergrass and Action Network)
- Assist with administering monthly WKC membership calls and monthly Board meetings
- Organize the venue, registration and other logistical tasks for the annual membership meeting
- Provide operations and administrative assistance to Waterkeepers as needed
- Minimum four to six years’ experience with nonprofit bookkeeping, grants accounting and nonprofit operations or comparable work experience
- Knowledge of organizational effectiveness and operations management. Experience developing and implementing standard operating procedures
- Proficiency with Quickbooks, WordPress, Microsoft Office (or Mac equivalent), Google Suite, and Salesforce
- Experience with events planning and logistics, and database management
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and timelines with flexibility and attention to detail, and in collaboration with staff and partners
- Demonstrated success in working as a member of a small team and developing effective working relationships with staff
- Self-starter, with strong goal-setting and planning skills
- An interest in WKC’s mission and a commitment to WKC’s diversity, equity, inclusion and justice values
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting, nonprofit administration or related field, or comparable work experience
How to apply & job details
Statistics show that women and people of underrepresented groups are more likely to apply to jobs only when they meet 100% of the job qualifications. We encourage individuals to break those statistics. No candidate ever meets 100% of the requested qualifications. We look forward to your application.
Waterkeepers Chesapeake is an equal opportunity employer.
The location of the position is flexible within 30 miles of the Washington, DC metro area. We are a hybrid workplace and our office is located in Silver Spring, MD. The position is full-time, with an expectation of 75% remote and 25% in office, and requires occasional evening and weekend hours.
Salary range is $45,000 – $60,000 depending on experience. WKC values employee growth and advancement and makes opportunities for these even with our small size. Position includes a benefits package designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance including: health insurance, retirement benefit, generous vacation and time off, and flexible work arrangements. The position is available immediately.
Please submit a resume, and cover letter indicating your specific interest in this position. Send to info(at)waterkeeperschesapeake.org with subject line: LAST NAME: Operations & Program Manager application. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted until we hire, but we strongly encourage interested individuals to submit their applications as soon as possible. Interviews will be set up on a rolling basis.