Public Lands Campaign Coordinator
The Public Lands Coordinator is a full-time position that is responsible for overall coordination and execution of public lands campaign goals and activities. A focus of the campaign is to grow and mobilize a base of support in West Virginia for public lands and move the needle on priority policy issues through advocacy. This involves leading the West Virginians for Public Lands alliance that coordinates over 100 organizations and businesses working together to promote the conservation of our public lands. More information and posts about be campaign can be found here: http://wvrivers.org/our-programs/public-lands/. Work will involve hours outside of a conventional 9-5 schedule and regular travel, including evening meetings, weekend events, and overnight travel. It is a remote working position, with West Virginia residency required.
The Coordinator has a combination of coordination, outreach and administrative responsibilities. Activities under these responsibility areas work together to achieve the following:
- Grow the base of support for public lands.
- Increase the visibility of public lands in West Virginia.
- Move the needle on priority policy issues through advocacy.
- Advance a pro-active campaign to protect the Monongahela National Forest.
Campaign Coordination – 30%
- Coordinate campaign workgroups. Convene, facilitate and document campaign workgroup calls and campaign ad hoc committees.
- Work plans. Maintain regular communication with campaign partners to assure campaign work plan is progressing efficiently and effectively.
- Public education materials. Coordinate development and distribution of campaign-related materials like postcards, brochures, and educational materials. Assist in maintaining appropriate web resources to support the campaign.
Outreach – 50%
- Public education and outreach. Respond to requests for information and pursue opportunities for public presentations/events that lend to generating public engagement.
- Identify and cultivate partners. Cultivate existing relationships with project partners. Identify additional partners that have an interest in using WV public lands (sporting groups, backcountry groups, climbing groups, etc.). Follow up with partners and potential partners as needed.
- Coordinate action. As the need arises, mobilize organizational actions related to campaign policy priorities (meetings, phone calls, emails, sign-on letters, etc.)
- Volunteer recruitment. Identify and support volunteer leaders.
- Media coordination. Identify and support voices for media pieces. Reinforce campaign activities and outreach through social media channels. Provide content for the monthly e-news.
- Policy updates. Develop content for monthly policy updates.
Project Tracking and Reporting – 20%
- General project management. Manage work plans and reporting on tasks. Work with Program Director on preparing campaign budgets and monitoring project expenses.
- Administrative tasks. Maintain timesheets, submit required documentation for out-of-pocket reimbursements, maintain all work products on cloud-based shared drive, other duties as assigned.
- A commitment to relational work and experience in building partnerships. Previous coalition building, community organizing, or campaign management experience highly desired.
- Background in and/or interest and ability to learn about policies and legislation impacting public lands.
- Excellent written and oral communications and meeting facilitation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite products; working understanding of, or ability to learn, cloud-based applications like Google Groups, Google Docs, Office 365, and WordPress.
- General comfort and confidence with working in technologies designed for remote working environments.
- West Virginia residency.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel outside of regular business hours as needed.
- A commitment to equity and justice and to supporting WV Rivers’ growth in this area.
- A strong passion for WV Rivers’ mission.
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with your name and Public Lands Coordinator in the subject line. Apply by September 10, 2021.