Seasonal River Education Coordinator
The South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL – pronounced circle) was founded in 1983 by grassroots activists determined to protect the South Yuba River from dams. Ultimately, SYRCL won permanent protection for 39 miles of the South Yuba River under California’s Wild and Scenic Rivers Act. Today, SYRCL is the central hub of community activism to protect, restore, and celebrate the Yuba River watershed. With 39 years of achievements, 3,500 members and volunteers, SYRCL is doing great things for the Yuba watershed. SYRCL is a leader in the Sierra headwaters for addressing statewide and regional issues – challenging new dams, recovering endangered species, addressing climate change and drought, water security and water quality. Together, we are extending our powerful coalition from the summit to the sea.
The Seasonal River Education Coordinator will assist the Education Manager during our peak educational programming season by teaching outdoor courses with the aim of increasing environmental literacy through experiential learning opportunities, thereby creating life-long stewards of the Yuba River watershed. Programs are focused on watershed health and restoration, salmon, water conservation, and climate change. This position helps us achieve our goal of inspiring students to value the watershed and its wildlife and plants, especially Chinook salmon. The person in this position is responsible for leading Salmon Expedition field trips for 3rd-8th grade students, communicating with teachers and raft guides, analyzing student assessment data, and other project management tasks.
This position requires 30 to 40 hours of work per week, including occasional evenings and weekends. The successful candidate is excited by a fast-paced environment, passionate about environmental education, comfortable working full days outside, and can adapt lessons, schedules, and activities quickly when environmental factors or student needs change.
This is an outstanding opportunity for someone who wants to inspire students through engaging environmental education programs and help make a difference in our community and beyond.
- Participate in Salmon Expedition training
- Assist Education Manager with field trip logistics
- Lead Salmon Expedition float and/or hiking field trips for 3rd-8th grade students
- Teach students about salmon life cycle, habitat requirements, and water management issues during in-classroom lessons and on-river field trips
- Record and analyze student assessment data
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and problem-solving atmosphere at all times
- Prep curriculum materials
- Sanitize and replenish supplies
- Associates or BA/BS degree in education, science, or related field
- At least 1 years’ experience working with students in an outdoor setting.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, and Email.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail for scheduling, data collection, and record keeping.
- Ability to work independently, solve problems, and exercise good judgment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Readily available by phone and email.
- Passion for Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion is a must
- Be able to carry up to 40 pounds and hike up to 3 miles per day
- Are comfortable being on a raft and teaching outside for up to 6 hours per day
- CPR/First Aid certified
- Previous experience with an environmental or non-profit organization
- A valid driver’s license is required. Access to reliable transportation is highly preferred.
This position requires up to 6 hours per day teaching outside on a raft and occasional lifting of up to 40 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Preference will be given to applications received by July 1, 2022.
Please apply here: https://syrcl.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=69
We recognize this is a challenging time for hiring, both for the organization and candidate due to COVID-19. First contact will be a phone screen interview; finalists will be invited to video call panel interview; a COVID-appropriate in-person interview for the finalist will occur. Anticipated start date is September 12, 2022.
This position is open until filled. Submit your cover letter and resume electronically online.