ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: Established in 1988 upon the appointment of the Delaware Riverkeeper, the Delaware Riverkeeper Network (DRN) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization. DRN’s professional staff and volunteers work throughout the entire Delaware River Watershed. We also work throughout the four states that comprise the Watershed — including Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and New York — and at the federal level on the issues, actions, regulations, legislation, policies, programs and decisions that impact the health of our Delaware River Watershed waterways and our ability to protect and restore them for the benefit of all.
POSITION SUMMARY: DRN is seeking to hire a seasoned litigator/attorney with experience in environmental law.
DRN works to protect the Delaware River watershed and ecosystems from threats such as shale gas extraction, pipeline and powerline construction, dredging, stormwater runoff, wetlands degradation, species take, and pollution. DRN’s legal team consists of two full-time staff attorneys, a junior support attorney, a part-time paralegal, and a semester-based law clinic. The full-time staff attorneys report to Ms. van Rossum, who is the Delaware Riverkeeper, leader of DRN, and also an attorney.
- Insurance: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short & Long Term Disability
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match after one year of employment
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Medical, Dependent Care, Transit & Parking Expenses
- Generous time-off policies
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code
Location: The position is located in DRN’s main office in Bristol, Bucks County, PA. This position is generally office based. However, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, DRN staff are currently working remotely from their homes.
- Manage own caseload: perform legal research; draft strategy memoranda, pleadings, briefs, and other legal documents for timely filing with courts and other government agencies; and write and present comments and testimony before bodies considering proposals that will affect the environment
- Work both independently and in collaboration with the other members of DRN’s legal team as well as DRN’s advocacy staff
- Develop and pursue litigation in state and federal courts and administrative tribunals to advance the organization’s strategic objectives
- Manage relationships with co-counsel, outside counsel, clients, and coalition partners
- Co-direct the River Resources Environmental Law Clinic, including providing training and legal instruction to law interns
- Supervise junior attorney, paralegal, and law interns
- Law degree received
- Admitted to the state bar(s), or willing to apply for admission, in at least one of the watershed states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, or Delaware
- Two to five years of environmental litigation experience working with the Clean Water Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, the Natural Gas Act, the Endangered Species Act, and/or other relevant federal and state environmental statutes
- Experience in administrative and judicial proceedings
- Experience in undertaking factual investigations
- Superb research, writing, and oral advocacy skills
- A demonstrated commitment to public service and public interest litigation
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Submit cover letter, resume, names and contact information for three references, at least one writing sample from recent litigation, and other pertinent information by 10/31/2020.
Please send an email with the required attachments to the attention of Maya van Rossum, the Delaware Riverkeeper, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email subject line should read, “Staff Attorney Application.” No telephone calls.
Timeline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
DRN is an equal opportunity employer.