West Virginia Rivers Coalition (WV Rivers) seeks an energetic self-starter with a passion for our mission to serve as the Staff Scientist. The Staff Scientist provides technical support and overall coordination for our clean water projects and campaigns. These include aspects of our Safe Water for WV program, Citizen Oversight and Regulatory Advisory program, and regional watershed restoration campaigns for the Ohio River and Chesapeake Bay watersheds.
The ideal candidate will have an interest in and knack for advancing clean water priorities through collaboration with a variety of partners. Candidates must be highly organized yet adaptable, able to work remotely, and enthusiastic about joining a small statewide advocacy organization in a pivotal period of growth. This is a remote working position focused on projects throughout the state of West Virginia.
Reports to: Program Director
- Coordinate our Citizen Oversight and Regulatory Advisory program which includes the WV Water Quality Monitoring Program and regulatory oversight and compliance. Provide technical assistance to volunteer water quality monitors and concerned citizens. Conduct and/or coordinate issue-based research of regulations, policies and proposed permits. Develop fact sheets, technical comments and presentations.
- Serve as the WV Rivers representative as the WV state lead to the Choose Clean Water Coalition to organize grassroots support for federal and state policy initiatives promoting the health of the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
- Coordinate Safe Water for WV project teams of government agencies, public water utilities, and community organizations to implement watershed improvement and source water protection initiatives. Manage the “Source Water Community” designation program.
- Serve as WV Rivers’ primary representative to the Safe Water Conservation Collaborative, which seeks to accelerate land conservation to protect drinking water supplies.
- Work with the WV Watershed Network, watershed groups and volunteers to provide resources and trainings.
- Facilitate the WV Water Policy Workgroup meetings and coordination of activities.
- Serve as the WV Rivers representative and give presentations at public meetings and partner meetings, and interviews with media.
- Provide ongoing reports on project activities.
- Ability to build networks and coordinate activities among a diverse constituency to implement projects.
- Effective written and oral communication skills – including, effective persuasive communication to inspire action, diplomatic communication to foster trust and respect, and clear and direct communication to increase project and organizational efficiencies.
- Experience with public speaking.
- Meeting facilitation skills and event coordination experience.
- Ability to work remotely, including comfort with technologies that support remote work (such as online activity tracking tools, conference calling, and video conferencing).
- Experience with grassroots organizing, advocacy campaigns, project management, volunteer management and coalition-building preferred.
- Science-based education and expertise in water and/or other environmental issues. Experience in scientific research and/or understanding of regulatory processes and policies a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite products.
- West Virginia residency.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel outside of regular business hours as needed.
WV Rivers aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity at WV Rivers translates into understanding and valuing all perspectives in order to fully accomplish our mission and vision for clean water for all. Candidates must share a commitment to fostering values of diversity, inclusion, equity in justice in all aspects of our programming and advocacy.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will be open until filled.