Vice President of Finance, Operations, and People
Position: Vice President of Finance, Operations, and People
Reports to: President / CEO
Location: Flexible / remote (headquarters is in Boulder, CO)
Salary and Term: $90,000-$110,000/year DOE and assuming Full Time / 1 FTE (40 hours/week), exempt position with comprehensive benefits including: medical, dental, and vision health insurance; 403b retirement savings plan; vacation and well-being leave; employee assistance program; life insurance; technology stipend; and paid holidays.
POSITION SUMMARY: River Network, a nationally focused nonprofit organization (approximately 20 staff working across the country, a $3M annual operating budget, and 30+ year track record) seeks a Vice President of Finance, Operations, and People to serve as a vital member of our Leadership Team alongside President/CEO, Vice President of Philanthropy, Vice President of River Programs, and Senior Director of River Programs. The Vice President of Finance, Operations, and People leads the team responsible for financial strategy, budgeting, human resources, IT support, currently consisting of approximately 2 FTEs, including staff and external contractors. River Network anticipates growing this capacity to 3 FTEs, including a combination of staff and external contractors, supporting the vision of the new Vice President of Finance, Operations, and People. Together, this team leads River Network’s annual budget development process in collaboration with relevant staff; tracks financial progress and reports to staff, board members and funders; supports cash management; delivers or oversees the delivery of human resources and the administration of benefits; and support the systems and technology necessary for a dispersed team. This role connects River Network’s most valuable assets—its people— to its operational processes. We are looking for a mission-driven team player with an entrepreneurial spirit who is excited about helping achieve a future where everyone has access to affordable, clean water and healthy rivers. The right candidate will also have a potent ability to build trust and rapport with staff, board members, and external colleagues and contractors.
ABOUT RIVER NETWORK: River Network envisions a future of clean and ample water for people and nature, where local caretakers are well-equipped, effective and courageous champions for our rivers. River Network’s mission is to empower and unite people and communities to protect and restore rivers and other waters that sustain all life. Visit www.rivernetwork.org to learn more about our current priorities. Our headquarters are in Boulder, Colorado and we have staff located in communities across the U.S. We are committed to embracing diversity, equity and inclusion in all areas to achieve our mission – explore our core values and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, our explanation for why equity, diversity an inclusion are the foundation of our mission, and our principles for equitable and inclusive work. Through our programs, we seek to connect with all communities and increase the impact of their efforts to secure clean and ample water. Through our internal practices and external leadership, we seek an inclusive workplace culture that attracts and retains diverse staff, board, members, and supporters. Find information about our financials here (annual reports, financial statement, 990).
- Leadership and Vision
- Finance as a tool: Expand River Network’s value proposition to our community as well as communicate and monitor financial performance in collaboration with the President/CEO, the Leadership Team, and Board leadership. Support weekly financial tasks, monthly close and the generation and review of grant reports (actual spend v. budget), track grant and contract deliverables, and deliver grant-specific and department specific financial reports.
- Lead by example: As a member of River Network’s Leadership Team, help us expand our value proposition to our network by identifying and exploring new benefits, improve the efficiency of internal operations, promote cross-organizational collaboration, encourage alignment with River Network’s core values, and help us maintain a welcoming and inclusive work environment.
- Manage for success: Supervise external contractors and staff on your team and, where and when necessary, identify additional capacity needs to fulfill the financial, operational, and human resource specific duties and obligations at River Network.
- Financial Leadership and Oversight
- Budgeting: Leads the development of the annual budget in close coordination with Leadership Team, external contractors, Finance Committee, and staff with knowledge specific to individual grants and funder intentions; present budget to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors for approval; enters the approved organizational budget into QuickBooks Online; develops grant budget template and advises on complex budgets as needed prior to proposal submission; partners with program staff to understand and plan for changes in staff capacity based on revenue projections.
- Financial Reporting: Supports quarterly review and coding corrections for all grants in collaboration Philanthropy and others resulting in the generation of accurate and timely financial reports to the President/CEO, department heads, Finance Committee, and Board of Directors; supports team to complete weekly operations and monthly close and grant and expense reports, engaging and guiding staff in financial grant management; prepares financial statements for board meetings, the annual impact report, year-end reporting, and as needed for grant reporting; and ensures River Network completes a yearly financial audit and 990 filing with the support of an independent auditor, various state and local tax filings, and annual NICRA update.
- Forecasting: Prepares year-end and multi-year financial forecasts in partnership with the Leadership Team to assure alignment with the strategic plan, organizational investments, and evolution of programs.
- Accounting and Controls: Ensures River Network has the tools, resources, and systems necessary to process and reconcile expense reimbursements, accounts payable, accounts receivable (including invoicing and government grants and contracts), payroll, deposits, etc., and that same are posted in a timely and orderly manner, assuring proper internal controls are in place.
- Cash and Investments: Project and monitor monthly cash flow, develop and fulfill investment policies and priorities for approval by the Finance Committee and/or Board of Directors, etc.
- Charity registrations: Ensure compliance with all state charitable solicitation registration requirements in conjunction with Philanthropy staff or third-party vendors who complete such filings.
- Human Resources
- Employee benefits: Works with team to deliver benefits (health care, retirement, life insurance, unemployment insurance, etc.) to staff, including management of relationships with contractors, brokers, and others, the selection of providers, enrollment, etc.
- Onboarding and separation: Works with team to support staff on-boarding related to payroll, expenses, and internal systems, and separation procedures including calculating last paycheck, benefits closure, etc.
- Accountability and compensation: Together with the Leadership Team and others, oversees and manages the systems and communication for annual and periodic staff reviews to assure agreement on expectations and performance across the organization; and supports River Network’s annual merit or other process resulting in compensation changes (raises and bonuses).
- Legal and regulatory compliance and insurance coverage: Assures legal and regulatory compliance with employment laws nationally and in states where River Network staff work; maintain Workers Compensation and other forms of insurance supportive of River Network’s Team.
- Update Employee Handbook and Internal Policies: Establish and review employee policies, including updating River Network’s Employee Handbook every five years or more frequently in collaboration with the Leadership Team. Update other policies as needed on a more frequent basis.
- Information Technology
- Technology leadership: Guide the delivery of technology for River Network’s dispersed team, including evaluating needs, sourcing computers and other hardware, engaging external contractors, adopting new software and ‘apps’, in conjunction with staff input, etc. Supervise external contractors as necessary.
- Training programs: When new software is adopted, oversee the delivery of training and timeline for adoption to provide staff adequate support and sufficient time to fully integrate new technology. Supervise external contractors as necessary. Where training is recorded, incorporate into internal guides that staff can complete on their schedule.
- Standards: Establish or support protocols and clarity in collaboration with the Leadership Team and others for Salesforce, Sharepoint, project management, file naming and other practices.
- Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance preferred and minimum of ten years of financial management and operations experience, ideally for a nonprofit entity with operations in multiple states.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP as it applies to nonprofit organizations, experience with administration of government contracts, foundation and corporate grants, and accounting for restricted revenue sources.
- Thorough understanding of and experience in using spreadsheets, accounting software, online payroll processing, MS Office programs, and other electronic programs/software related to the tasks being performed (e.g., Quick Books Online, Expensify, Bill.com, etc.) including CRM software (e.g., Salesforce) as relevant.
- Experience in human resources, employment policies, benefits administration, and organizational design. Proven ability as a leader to build and be a member of highly effective and well-functioning teams.
- Demonstrated ability to define and track deadlines, progress, and contributions of others and stay on track using project management approaches and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Positive attitude and excellent presentation skills, strong oral and written communications, a growth mindset and demonstrated strength under pressure.
- Commitment to River Network’s Core Values, including respect, integrity, growth, and inclusion.
- Experience working with PEOs, technology companies, and other contractors to fulfill operational needs.
- Knowledge of river conservation, current issues in the water arena, and challenges related to equity.
TO APPLY: Send your resume and cover letter as one combined document to firstname.lastname@example.org by or before December 18, 2021 with the VP at River Network as the subject. References, work samples, simulations, and questions will be part of the selection process. No phone calls please. The successful applicant must also meet the requirements of River Network’s background screening process. Consistent with our values and our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion as stated above, River Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all employees.