Water Quality Assistant
Working for Milwaukee Riverkeeper…
At Milwaukee Riverkeeper® we’re looking for more than just a person to fill a desk. We’re seeking people that share our passion for healthy rivers and communities. If you want to become a part of Milwaukee Riverkeeper, you will be empowered to work the way you work best. Your voice is important, you’ll help shape the role you’re in and the future of our organization. From top down and bottom up, we’re more than just a workplace, we sweat together, and play to win!
As the Water Quality Assistant you’ll be assisting the Water Quality team in coordinating our community volunteers and monitoring program. We value our volunteers, they share our passion, and serve as the eyes and ears of our waterways. You’ll help to keep that excitement alive, building relationships and facilitating training opportunities.
Your work is an important piece of our organization and is actually a part of something much bigger. The data our team and volunteers collect provides science based evidence for policy makers and land management choices.
- Assist in recruiting, training, and coordinating volunteer monitors
- Prepare and distribute water quality monitoring equipment to volunteers
- Perform QA/QC field checks with volunteer stream monitors in the field
- Help volunteer community monitoring input data into the appropriate databases
- Create end of season monitoring reports for volunteers
- Create and implement a volunteer appreciation program
- Create and implement a tracking system for volunteer and monitoring information
- Work with our Water Quality Manager to streamline our existing river monitoring programs
- Complete monthly AmeriCorps tasks as assigned by AmeriCorps
- Milwaukee Riverkeeper employees need to be flexible and may be asked to take on additional duties based on the organization’s needs and the staff member’s skill and abilities.
- The successful candidate may have the following qualifications:
- Associates degree or higher preferred, or equivalent experience
- Strong attention to detail and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills, experience working with volunteers is a plus
- Knowledge of basic software including Microsoft products
- Data entry experience
- Ability to resolve routine problems independently
- Ability to prioritize work according to the organization’s needs
- Willingness to work occasional weekends and evenings
- Commitment to the environment
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to attend mandatory AmeriCorps orientation on September 12-16 and a two-day mid-term training in January 2023 (dates TBD).
This is a full-time AmeriCorps position. Members must commit to a year of service. Members must complete 1700 hours of service, averaging 35-40 hours per week from September 12, 2022 – August 31, 2023.
AmeriCorps Member receives a monthly living allowance (approx. $827 gross pay every two weeks), health insurance, and an educational award ($6,495) after successful completion of a year of service.
Milwaukee Riverkeeper is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We will be reviewing candidates on a rolling basis. Please submit a PDF version resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.