Executive Order 13985: Public Comment and Virtual Listening Sessions
Starting October 19, the Department of the Interior is hosting listening sessions regarding barriers that underserved communities and individuals may face in participating in outdoor recreation opportunities on DOI-managed public lands and waters. You can also submit written comments (see below)
As part of implementing Executive Order 13985: Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserved Communities Through the Federal Government, DOI is interested in feedback on the barriers that limit access, diversity, and equity in recreation, as well as recommendations on how Federal land managers, along with partners, can work together to address these barriers.
DOI invites stakeholders, members of underserved communities, and their representatives to join us for an interactive listening session to provide feedback on questions like:
- What are the barriers to visiting public lands and waters managed by the DOI?
- How can the DOI remove or reduce barriers (e.g., update policies, practices, or programs) that underserved communities and individuals face when they recreate or attempt to recreate on DOI-managed lands and waters?
- How can DOI establish and maintain connections to a wider and more diverse set of stakeholders representing underserved communities? How can DOI better share information with underserved stakeholders about recreation opportunities? What are the best ways to notify and engage underserved stakeholders about opportunities?
Those who wish to provide additional written input or unable to attend a listening session are encouraged to submit comments online later this month at www.regulations.gov (enter DOI-2021-0008 in the Search bar to find the docket).
DOI hopes these listening sessions are a start to conversations that result in developing ongoing relationships and facilitate regular, targeted discussions with underserved communities to advance access, diversity, and equity in the outdoors.
Upcoming Listening Sessions
- Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm ET
- Thursday, October 21, 2021, 8:00 pm – 10:00 pm ET
- Monday, October 25, 2021, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm ET
- Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 8:00 pm – 10:00 pm ET
- Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm ET
Can’t make it to a live session? Submit comments online at www.regulations.gov (enter DOI-2021-0008 in the search bar) and stay tuned for future opportunities to engage on this very important issue.