Rivers Lab: The Book Club for River Geeks
South Yuba River State Park
313 Railroad Avenue
Nevada City, CA 95959
About Rivers Lab
Rivers Lab is a paper/report reading and discussion group assembled so that we can, as a community of river lovers, break down the prestigious walls of academic papers to learn more about the systems we care for and have a chance to ask questions, discuss, and enjoy each other’s company.
Rivers Lab is a no pressure environment and a great way to learn more about the ecosystems surrounding us by reading relevant scientific literature. Encourage your friends to join – the more diversity of thought, the merrier!
Here’s how Rivers Lab works:
- We will meet from 12:00-1:00 on the last Thursday of every month in SYRCL’s conference room (BYO lunch).
- Everyone reads the papers beforehand (1-2 papers per month)
- Be on time, show up 5 minutes early even!
- If you are able, please bring
- A copy of the paper (hard or online)
- Paper / pens / laptop / tablet for taking notes
- Questions, comments, critiques, compliments about the paper
- Ideas for future topics and discussions
- A readiness to practice scientific literacy with your community!